The slovakian centre of the cross-border Novohrad-Nógrád Geopark is Fiľakovo town. The first written records about the town date from the first half of the 13th century. As early as that there was a settlement under protection of the strong castle. It received township rights and the settlement became Fylek Town in 1423. After the cruelty of the Tartars and the flagrant robbery of knight Fulcus, the Turks, who had been in Fiľakovo and it's environs for 39 years, captured the castle in 1554. During this period Fiľakovo was the Ottoman Empire's only Sanjak (county) seat in Slovakia's current territory. The golden age of the town was the 17th century when it was ruled by impressive personalities, such as Tamás Bosnyák, Ferenc Wesselényi, and István Koháry II. The destiny of the castle and town was sealed at the end of the 17th century when the castle was captured and reduced to ruins by Imre Thököly.
Fiľakovo Castle Museum situated in an impressive renaissance tower, named after Ferenc Bebek, welcomes visitors since August 2008; it introduces the history of the town and castle from the first written reference to the destruction of the castle. In historical town centre is located the Church Devoted to Holy Mary´s Assumption and the Franciscan Monastery National Cultural Monument. Attention of visitors also deserves some historical buildings, such as: Town Hall, Redout, Berchtold Manor-House, Cebrian Manor-House, and the Koháry Mansion. Town Museum welcomes visitors with temporary exhibitions of local history, folk culture and art. The upcoming exhibition will be devoted to history of Fiľakovo after destruction of the castle, with special accent on history of local enamel industry. Novohrad Tourist Information Center provides information about attractive sights, cultural events in the town, and hiking opportunities in it´s surroundings.